This is the actual recipe used in the Chicago public schools, my Mom was the manager in the cafeteria for many years. This recipe was also published in a Chicago newspaper as one of the favorites. The cookie has a wonderful butter flavor and very delicate texture. Have one with a little carton of milk and you will feel young again. Enjoy!
- Cream butter with mixer untill light and fuffy.
- Add sugar and salt and beat until no longer grainy.
- Gradually add flour a little at a time, beating at low speed untill dough forms.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Form dough into balls, one heaping tablespoon = 1 ball.
- Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet spaced widely- about 9 per sheet.
- Put 1/4 cup of sugar on saucer. Press first 3 fingers into sugar, then press down on ball to flatten to a 3 inch circle wide and 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 12-15 minutes, until faintly browned around the egdes.
- Gently remove cookies from sheet with a spatula, cool completely on wire racks.