Prep 12 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Have any of those hidden cucumbers revealed themselves now that the garden is nearly done? Cooking time approximate. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 12 large cucumbers, very ripe
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Wash cucumbers; peel, cut in halves lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Let stand overnight in a brine made of the salt and water.
- Drain very well and cut into pieces.
- Tie spices into a cheesecloth bag.
- Bring sugar, vinegar and spice bag to a boil; add cucumbers and boil until cukes begin to look transparent but are still crisp.
- Fill sterilized jars and seal.
Just like I remember when I was a little girl, great