Recipe by DrGaellon
Apparently, this is German comfort food. This is one variation, adapted by my good friend Sam, http://copperbadge.livejournal.com
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick) or 4 tablespoons margarine (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups water or 2 cups stock
- 1⁄4 cup prepared brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -4 tablespoons vinegar, to taste
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until absorbed and pasty taste has cooked out, about 3 minutes.
- Add liquid, mustard, salt, sugar and vinegar and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook until thick, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add eggs, one at a time. Poach gently until eggs are soft-set, 3-4 minutes. Serve over boiled potatoes (or, if you're Sam, over toast).