Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
POSTED FOR ZWT 4. It is not known who recorded this recipe. It's simple but delicious. From Senegal in West Africa. This used to be a French colony and the French influence is very visible in its foods. Yet again: prep and cooking times are guesses. I did not factor in cooking the rice either.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces (1 kg)
- 4 lbs purple onions, chopped (2 kgs)
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes (hot)
- 2 lemons, juice of
- salt, to taste
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 1 -2 bell pepper, green, thinly sliced
- 2 -4 tomatoes, ripe, sliced
- Fry the chickens in the oil in a deep saucepan until well browned.
- Remove chicken, then fry the onions in the same oil. (Here the cook said that the onions should saute for 2 hours at low heat. It sounds way too long, but will render the onions meltingly tender!).
- Then add the chicken, mustard, crumbled bouillon cubes, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, lemon juice and salt to taste (if necessary). Simmer slowly for up to an hour.
- Serve over white rice, and top the chicken and onion with the bell pepper and tomato slices.