Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From "Daily Soup Recipe Book"
- 1 lb dry roasted salted peanut
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery, stalks chopped (ribs)
- 2 leeks, rinsed well and chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and sliced
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- Chop 1/2 cup of the peanuts into small pieces and reserve to use as garnish. Puree the remaining peanuts in a blender or food processor until a thick paste forms; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and leeks and sweat for about 4 minutes, until tender.
- Add the sugar, curry, cumin, cayenne, and salt and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the tomatoes, water, and peanut paste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the scallions, heavy cream, and garlic and simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with reserved chopped peanuts.