Recipe by Cluich
This soup has such a fantastic flavor, and it's uber-easy to make. You can use smooth or chunky peanut butter, though I prefer extra chunky myself.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
This was good, although a little bland. I only made one change and that was to use coconut milk instead of water. After it was done, I found it needed a little more so I added a 2nd chicken breast, more peanut butter, more cilantro, and some crushed red chilies, which I thought really helped. Made for PAC Spring '10
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky, depending on your preference)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onion and black pepper over medium heat in the vegetable oil in a 3-quart pot until the onion is a little yellow, then add the garlic, stirring frequently, until both are golden and softened (total of about five minutes or so).
- Add curry powder and cook for another two minutes, stirring frequently (very important, as the curry powder will clump up and burn if you don't).
- Add the can of petite diced tomatoes (no draining!), as well as the broth, and simmer uncovered for about five minutes.
- Mix the hot water and peanut butter together until smooth, then add to the pot. Toss the shredded chicken and cilantro in, too.
- Simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for another five minute or so.