1/1 Photo of Senegalese Chicken and Peanut Soup
Kirstin in the Couv's Note:
This is an award winning soup recipe. The soup should be silky and smooth but not thick; it should be spicy, but not too hot; it should have a sharpness of tomato and lemon, but not be sour; it should taste of peanuts, but not of peanut butter. It freezes beautifully. Note - I just adopted this one -- it was originally posted by my friend Mean Chef -- the intro is perfect and is exactly what you should be tasting in the final product! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced (I used one whole cooked chicken)
- 3/4 teaspoon sambal oelek chili paste (red chile paste)
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- lemon juice, to taste (I used the juice of 1 small lemon)
- 1Saute onion, garlic and cayenne in oil until onion is translucent.
- 2Stir in curry powder and curry paste; saute 1 minute.
- 3Add chicken stock and tomatoes in juice; bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4Add cooked chicken and sambal; simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5Whisk in peanut butter a little at a time until incorporated; add coconut milk and stir to incorporate.
- 6Turn soup to low and add cilantro and lemon juice to brighten the taste; check seasoning.
Browse Our Top Peanut Butter Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peanut Butter Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Senegalese Chicken and Peanut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1036.6
- Calories from Fat 662
- Total Fat 73.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.3 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 1126.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 61.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
yellow curry paste
sambal oelek chili paste