Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Overnight soaking for the beans not included in the preparation time.
- 1 lb beef, Coarsely ground
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups onions, Chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin, Ground
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook beef until browned, stirring to keep crumbly.
- Drain off drippings, if needed.
- Add tomato paste, onions and drained beans.
- Mix chili powder, cumin and season to taste with salt.
- Stir into mixture.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 5 hours.