Chef #271118 Sue Gunnell's Note:
I can't read my handwritten recipe card that this was written on because of all the spills that landed on it whilst making this delicious, comforting soup. I clipped this from a newspaper (or magazine?) years ago and my husband has since taken over the task of making this soup from any hambone that he can acquire. I do hope you enjoy this as much as we do. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash beans, drain then soak in large pot.
- 2For quick soak method combine beans & 6 cups water. Heat to boiling; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover, let stand 1 hour OR.
- 3Soak beans overnight.
- 4In large frypan melt butter, saute celery, onion and garlic until tender.
- 5Drain beans, reserve liquid.
- 6Into saucepan add beans, reserved liquid and enough water to make 10 cups, ham bone or hock, salt and pepper plus saute veggies from frypan.
- 7Heat to boiling, reduce to low.
- 8Cover and simmer 3 hours or until beans are tender and soup thickens.
- 9Remove meat from bone and add to soup.
- 10Remove a cup or two of beans, mash and return to make a thicker soup if desired.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Senate Navy Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.0
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 371.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 10.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock