Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is an old recipe given to me by my mother. I have tasted different versions but this one is my family's favorite.
Top Review by PixieDust
This is the best!! I followed your directions exactly and wouldn't change a thing. The beans were very tender. The soup was rich and creamy and had the most wonderful ham flavor. The ham bone really makes a difference. Thanks Nurse Di.
- 1 lb dry navy beans
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup mashed potato flakes or 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and sort beans; in large kettle, cover beans with 6-8 c hot water.
- Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add another 2 quarts of cold water and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; simmer 20-30 minutes until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone, trim off meat and return meat to soup; remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot; freezes well.