Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an old recipe given to me by my mother. I have tasted different versions but this one is my family's favorite.
- Wash and sort beans; in large kettle, cover beans with 6-8 c hot water.
- Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add another 2 quarts of cold water and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; simmer 20-30 minutes until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone, trim off meat and return meat to soup; remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot; freezes well.
This is the best!! I followed your directions exactly and wouldn't change a thing. The beans were very tender. The soup was rich and creamy and had the most wonderful ham flavor. The ham bone really makes a difference. Thanks Nurse Di.
This was absolutely wonderful. Smells great cooking, tastes even better. I couldn't find a ham bone, so I used one of those packages of ham cubes (real ham, just cut in cubes). Still tasted awesome.
I have made this soup twice since finding this recipe site. We think it is the best and I have tried quite a few bean soup recipes. So creamy and thick. I used the ham bone but it wasn't all that meaty so I added some chopped up leftover ham. Wonderful and thanks for sharing this recipe.