Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Diwali, The Festival Of Lights, is on 25th Oct this year. My mom's b'day is on 23rd and on 24th, my mom and dad will be celebrating their 26th wedding anniversary! I have ALOT to cook in the coming up days and this is going to be one of my special treats for mom n dad. Hope you enjoy it too! Think of me when you do;-)
- 2 cups semolina (sooji)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ghee
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 5 cups water
- 15 -20 almonds, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3 -5 saffron strands, soaked in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 -5 sliced almonds, for garnishing
- edible silver foil (known as "chandi ka warq" in Hindi)
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Fry the almonds and raisins in it until lightly browned.
- Remove from ghee.
- Keep aside.
- Add semolina to the ghee.
- Fry till it turns lightly golden in colour.
- Add the soaked saffron and 4 cups of water.
- Stir continuously.
- Lower the flame, keep stirring, until all the water is absorbed.
- Add the milk and stir until you see a little ghee come up on the sides of the pan.
- Add the fried almonds and raisins now.
- Mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread the mixture onto a flat, greased (with ghee) plate.
- Cut into squares or diamond shapes.
- Decorate each square with sliced almonds.
- If desired, you can also spread some edible silver foil over the barfi before cutting it into shapes.