Recipe by Melanie B.
A yummy rustic style lasagna....I got this recipe from Cooking Light magazine (April, 2008) but I did not make it quite as light as the recipe called for.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cups of thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper (to season)
- 6 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, chopped into cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the pasta, pour flours in a food processor and spin for 30 seconds. Add 1/3 cup of water, 2 TBS oil, and eggs in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. With processor running, slowly pour mixture into the food chute, processing just until dough forms a ball. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly 5 times. Shape dough into a disk. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic wrap, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, roll dough into a 20x4-inch rectangle. Repeat with remaining dough to form 6 sheets.
- To prepare sauce, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet until crisp. Add onion, 1 TBS oil, and garlic to pan; saute 5 minutes or until browned. Add 1/2 cup water and tomatoes, bring to a boil. stir in crushed red pepper, salt, & pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Bring 6 quarts water and 1 TBS salt to a boil. Slowly lower 1 pasta sheet into boiling water; cook 1.5 minutes. Carefully remove pasta with a slotted spoon and place in a pan with a damp towel. Repeat process with all six pasta sheets.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 1 pasta sheet on each of 6 individual baking dishes lightly coated with cooking spray. Layer each of the three cheeses and sauce while folding the piece of pasta back & forth. Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- *I also added some extra parmesan cheese on the top near the end, turned the oven up to a broil to crisp up the cheesy top quickly.
- *This works well as a make ahead or freezer meal.
- *The smoky flavor of the bacon in the sauce makes the dish.