Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful cake which is a dying recipe. Why dying cos...it's a eurasian recipe...a cross between a almond and a butter cake. But because it is such a well kept secret....the recipe is dying cos so few people have it now. Try it.., it's quite dense though i must warn ya. Eurasians are a race people in asia call Kids of european and asian decent. Usually made for eurasian weddings. :)
- Mix together semolina, flour, chopped crystallised melon (optional), orange peel and mixed spices.
- Whip egg yolks with half the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Cream butter with the rest of the sugar together with vanilla flavour.
- Fold in the creamed egg yolk mixture.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients and brandy.
- Stir lightly till well mixed.
- Turn batter into a lined and greased 9 inch cake tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175ºC for one hour to 60 minutes until golden in colour.
- You can also test if it is done by inserting a skewer into the cake.
- It's done when the stick comes out clean.
Thank you for the recipe. I just need to know what "spices" the recipe called for and where can I get it.
I love you for this recipe..I grew up loving this cake but was unable to get the recipe - it died with my grandmother (a Nonya) - none of my aunts (nor my own mother) were interested in baking. Now I am so happy to find it here. Thanks.