Recipe by KitchenManiac
This is a wonderful cake which is a dying recipe. Why dying cos...it's a eurasian recipe...a cross between a almond and a butter cake. But because it is such a well kept secret....the recipe is dying cos so few people have it now. Try it.., it's quite dense though i must warn ya. Eurasians are a race people in asia call Kids of european and asian decent. Usually made for eurasian weddings. :)
- 350 g butter
- 275 g caster sugar
- 250 g semolina flour
- 55 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g crystallized melon pieces, chopped (optional)
- 1 piece candied orange peel, diced
- 110 g almonds, chopped
- 15 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spices
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together semolina, flour, chopped crystallised melon (optional), orange peel and mixed spices.
- Whip egg yolks with half the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Cream butter with the rest of the sugar together with vanilla flavour.
- Fold in the creamed egg yolk mixture.
- Add the mixed dry ingredients and brandy.
- Stir lightly till well mixed.
- Turn batter into a lined and greased 9 inch cake tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175ºC for one hour to 60 minutes until golden in colour.
- You can also test if it is done by inserting a skewer into the cake.
- It's done when the stick comes out clean.