Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups semolina
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup blanched and chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon
- Beat the butter with the sugar.
- Add the eggs and continue beating, until frothy.
- Then add the semolina, the cinnamon and the almonds.
- Mix them well, until mixture is not lumpy.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a buttered pan and bake in a medium oven for 30 minutes.
- Then remove the cake from the oven and cut it into square shaped pieces, while it is still in the pan.
- In the meantime prepare the syrup as follows: In a pot, boil the sugar, the water and the lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Pour the syrup, scalding hot, over the cake, while the cake is still lukewarm.
The cake turns out great with a slightly coarse texture ( characteristic of semolin ) with a rich butter flavor, must try!!!