Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from Gourmet Magazine back in 1994. I have made this many times for get togethers, especially when there are kids. They seem to like it alot. Even adults give good comments about the sandwiches. This recipe can easily be doubled to serve more and held on low heat in a crock pot for several hours. I find the flavor is superior to the usual envelope mix most use.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet sauté ground beef with onion. Stir constantly breaking up clumps. Meat should be browned taking about 8minutes. Drain off some of the fat.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Dijon, brown sugar and Tabasco. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, over low heat for about 30minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Toast hamburger buns. Divide sloppy joe mixture among hamburger buns.