Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is so good! The semi-sweet chocolate flavor leaves milk chocolate at the gate! Seriously, it will become a family favorite. It's fairly easy to make, and you will really love the flavor.
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Put the 1/4 cup of water in small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it.
- Put the egg yolks into a large bowl and whisk lightly to combine. Add the sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Put the milk into a saucepan and bring just to a boil.
- *Gradually whisk the hot milk into the yolks.
- Then return the mixture into the saucepan.
- Cook the custard over medium-low heat, scraping the bottom of the pan constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook the custard sauce until it reaches 165°F.to 170°F on an instant read thermometer(Another test method is to dip a metal spoon into the custard. Run your finger down the middle of the custard, and if the trail stays it's ready).
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave.
- Stir the softened gelatin into the custard, whisking until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Whisk the custard into the chocolate. Pour the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- While the custard is chilling, pour cream into a chilled bowl and beat to soft peaks.
- Oil a mold with almond oil.
- Gently fold the cream into the custard and pour into the oiled mold.
- To serve: Unmold the Bavarian cream a short time before serving. Garnish with your choice , or whipped cream, grated chocolate, orange, raspberries or other fruit.
- Note:The servings will vary; depends on th mold that you use. Times do not include chilling. Times are guesstimated.
- *Be very careful when whisking the milk into the yolks. If you put too much hot liquid too quickly into the yolks, you will have scrambled eggs. Just pour in a small amount at first.