Recipe by WiGal
I do not typically have milk chocolate chips so this is the Rocky Road version I use. I put this onto Sue B's Chocolate Cake. The recipe is from Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor. I have only used this for flat surfaces and not the sides of a cake.
Top Review by appleydapply
This is a fabulously easy recipe. I have made it before as directed, but this time I wanted to change it up a bit. So I substituted some toasted walnuts for the peanuts, and instead of mixing them in, I sprinkled them on top. Voila, a Mississippi Mud Cake when put on top of Recipe #368082. Rich and sweet and satisfying! Thanks for posting The Doctor's great recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 3⁄4 cup miniature marshmallow
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sugar, butter, and milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Boil, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate chips, and stir until they are melted.
- Let the pan rest off the heat to cool slightly but not completely, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Fold in the peanuts and marshmallows until they are well combined and the heat from the frosting begins to melt the marshmallows.
- Turn the frosting out onto the cooled cake, then spread evenly with a spatula until the frosting covers the entire cake.
- Or spread onto cooled cupcakes.