Recipe by BecR
From 'The Ultimate Dessert Book' by Linda Lewis. This spumoni is a lovely semi homemade version of the classic Italian dessert. Rich and decadent. A wonderful ice cream to serve at Christmas, or following an Italian feast. Enjoy! Note: Spumoni is at its best when served slightly softened, so transfer from freezer to refrigerator about an hour before serving. Cook time is freezer time. Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons marsala wine
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped candied red cherries
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped candied pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate (pieces or squares)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften ice cream in a large bowl, but do not allow to melt.
- Beat cream in a medium-size bowl until stiff. Beat in the powdered sugar. Fold mixture into softened ice cream. Stir in the Marsala, then fold in the strawberries, cherries, pineapple, apricots, lemon peel, almonds and chocolate.
- Turn mixture into a shallow metal bowl. Cover securely with plastic wrap; place in freezer. Stir spumoni several times during freezing, to keep it creamy and prevent fruit from sinking to the bottom.
- Spumoni is at its best when served slightly softened, so transfer from freezer to refrigerator about an hour before serving.
- Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.