Recipe by Sheri Baby
I call this semi-homemade because I almost never have time to use uncanned beans lol. This recipe will work great with any types of beans that you would like to use. My husband likes them so much that I am no longer allowed to buy canned refried beans haha.
- 1 (40 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon of minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of juice from jarred jalapeno
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the can of beans and drain it until there is about 1/3 of the liquid left in the can. Pour into large nonstick skillet and add the olive oil and all the seasonings. Turn the burner up to high and stir everything until well mixed. Wait until the beans have come to a boil and then lower the heat to a little more than low.
- Leave the beans simmering for about 15-20 minutes Once the liquid that we left in the beans starts to almost dry out completely time to add the milk. Take a potato masher and mash the beans until they are at the consistency that you prefer. I like to mash until I've mashed almost every last beans. Turn off the burner and they are ready to serve inside your favorite burrito or alongside your favorite mexican dish.