Total comfort food that couldn't be easier!!! Whip it together in 5 minutes and simmer for 45 minutes. Italian restaurants usually serve this on a bun/roll, but we prefer it "as is" (without bun and low carb). Make sure you cook a little extra. . .cut up your sausage, mix back in the sauce, place the sauce overtop pasta noodles, cover with cheese and bake. . .what wonderful leftovers! This freezes very well if you are a good think-ahead kind of cook.
- 1 lb Italian sausage (will probably be 4 nice sized links)
- 2 cups cheese-flavored spaghetti sauce
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, cut into strips like the pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, mix together spaghetti sauce, peppers, onions (if you are using them) and drained tomatoes.
- Set your sausage links in the sauce.
- Cover and simmer on med-low for 45 minutes.
- If sauce is thick enough for you, move on to the next step. Otherwise, if you prefer a thicker sauce, remove the sausages and thicken your marinara sauce by adding 1 tsp of cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp cold water to your sauce, turn up to med-high heat and bring to a boil, return it to a simmer for 5 more minutes and it should be plenty thick.
- To serve, place one sausage on your plate, cover with 1/2 cup of sauce and sprinkle with the cheeses to your liking (cheese will melt immediately). Note that you can serve these in buns/rolls if you like!