Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This zakuski recipe is traditional Russian.
- 1 lb white bread, slices without crusts
- 1 cup milk
- 2 medium salted herring fillets, finely chopped
- 1 small apple, peeled and finely chopped (very tart)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Soak the bread briefly in milk and then squeeze well.
- Mix the herring fillets with the softened bread, add the apple and onion.
- Put the mixture through the grinder.
- Add butter and sour cream, season with pepper. Mix well.
- Put the mixture into a greased oven-proof dish.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake in the oven at 340F until golden brown.