- 10 tablespoons sour cream
- 10 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb salted herring fillet, diced
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled and finely grated
- 3 medium carrots, boiled and finely grated
- 3 medium beets, root boiled and finely grated
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the sour cream, mayonaisse, and black pepper together.
- Layer the fish and vegetable ingredients in a deep dish with a few spoonfuls of the cream and mayonaisse mixture between each layer. It is recommended that you keep the layers in the following order: herring (retain a few pieces for garnishing), onion, potato, carrot, beet root.
- Garnish with chopped egg and herring pieces. Chill and serve.