Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Russian name is "Selyodka pod Shouboy", that means "Herring under fur coat". It is a traditional national dish for just about any event. A more common name for this is Dressed Herring. Dressed Herring is loved and considered one of the most delicious salads by Russians everywhere. Try and enjoy! "Selyodka pod Shouboy" is served as an appetizer, accompanied by icy cold vodka.
- Place potatoes, carrots, and beets into a medium pot and boil until all vegetables are tender. Boil eggs hard. Cool all vegetables and eggs.
- Soak the herrings in milk, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the fillets into 1 inch pieces.
- Arrange the pieces on a large dish side by side. Put herring meat evenly on the bottom. Evenly place rings of onion on the herring. Using a rubber spatula, spread mayonnaise evenly in a thin layer.
- Mince the potatoes and make the next layer of it. Again spread the mayonnaise over the potatoes.
- Then mince the carrot and spread over the mayonnaise.
- Mince 3 of the eggs and spread in the next layer, add mayonnaise and then the beets. Spread mayonnaise on the beets and mince and spread 1 egg on it to make the dish beautiful.
- This salad must look like a cake.
- Put the dish in the fridge for an hour.