Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a donut-like preparation made from ground rice and nuts. This is mainly served in Nepali festivals.
- 3 cups basmati rice, soaked for a few hours
- 3 cups soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup almond nuts
- 1⁄4 cup cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 3 cups chilled whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 liter cooking oil
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a blender, grind soaked rice, grated coconut, almond and cashew nuts into a coarse paste.
- In a large bowl, combine ground rice, butter and sugar; mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and salt; incorporate well.
- Start adding milk gradually to the rice-butter mixture, constantly stirring.
- The end result should yield a batter with consistency similar to that for pancakes.
- Heat oil.
- Pour some of the batter into a baking pipe.
- Pipe out the mixture into oil so that you have created an enclosed circle.
- Allow frying until the oil side of Selroti is golden brown; turn over on the other side.
- Remove from oil once both sides are cooked to golden brown and crispy.
- Place on a sheet of paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Continue frying until all the batter is finished.
- To serve, place two Selrotis on a plate; dust them with powdered sugar.