Recipe by Love2Eat
This is a great way to use up all the end-of-season peaches or nectarines. This can also be made with drained, canned fruit when fresh isn't available. I'm going to give it a try with apples now that their season is approaching. Fast, easy and delicious! Serve with vanilla ice cream, whipping cream or eat it plain. Enjoy! P.S. Prep time includes peeling the fruit.
Top Review by godbreathed01
Hi Loves2Eat I have tried this recipe twice with apples (never peel them), but not yet with peaches. It is quite tasty; I add a few extra spices and half the sugar (WheyLow) for our preferences. I never really get a sauce with it, the apples remain on the top sort of. The cake bakes up feather-light around the apples. I melt the butter (use Smart Balance, really) in a pan in the oven, saute the fruit with spices on the stove, mix up the cake then pour the melted butter into the batter and whisk it together. Pour the batter back into the oven pan, then put the sauted apples over the top and bake as directed. The second time I used KA white whole wheat flour and it was still light as a feather. So it is easy to modify this recipe as well as make a lite version without really compromising. My Idea of a GREAT recipe!! I must be doing something wrong for not getting a sauce, but we are happy with this. I would guess this recipe makes about 4 servings--at least it does for us. Thanks Judy in WA
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 cups peeled sliced peaches or 4 cups nectarines
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In 2 litre (8 cup) baking dish, melt butter in 350 deg.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon until well blended; whisk in milk until smooth.
- Pour over melted butter and whisk until well blended.
- For the sauce, in saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring peaches, brown sugar and cinnamon to a boil.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour over batter.
- Do not stir.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake has risen to top and is puffed and golden.
- Serve warm.