Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Apple Cookery Spiced with History. The recipe was submitted by Donna Kruger.
- 650.62 ml flour
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml clove
- 2.46 ml allspice
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 2 eggs
- 473.18 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 236.59 ml walnut halves
- 20 large marshmallows
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add shortening, eggs and applesauce.
- Beat until smooth and well blended.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13" pan.
- Press whole marshmallows into batter to bottom of pan.
- (Twenty marshmallows should make 4 rows with 5 marshmallows to a row). They will rise to the top during baking and make the frosting.
- Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.
Just tried this tonight - it's wonderful! Full of flavor - and oh, those toasted marshmallows! :)
Wow!! One of the BEST tasteing cakes I have ever made/tried. Not even joking. Very easy to make! This is excellent served warm. Recommend for a breakfast or brunch party. You can also make cupcakes with it..just put two spoonfulls of cake mix and add a marshmellow! Thank you SO very much for sharing this recipe. It will be one to keep forever!