Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Pennsylvania Dutch delicacy my husband grew up eating this in the PA Coal Region, I did not. I am posting this recipe at his request
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground cooked ham
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, partially drained
- 1⁄4 cup mustard (I use spicy brown)
- Prehat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a cooke sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix all of the loaf ingredients well.
- Shape into a loaf on cookie sheet.
- Bake@ 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
This is how I've made this for years! (try 30) with the exception of a little less mustard and add in egg. Same way my mom made it. Look at the other recipes...but THIS is the one to make.
Dh wants to thank your hubby! Wonderful meal! Love the pineapple incorporated into loaf instead of just on outside. Perfect balance of flavors. Our grocery used to have ham loaf but alas when it was bought out that disappeared so have been on prowl for it and this is it. This would serve 8. It also would freeze well in raw state. I served ours with Oven Baked Cobb of Corn. Next time I will add an egg as it did fall apart and will add the onion. Have added to my oven 350 cook book. TY!
Just made this tonight. My husband LOVED it! He said, "You can make this again!" So I guess it's a keeper. I halved the recipe and it fed us both with seconds and with half leftover for later in the week. Oh yes, I did add an egg and served it with the leftover crushed pineapple. Thanks for sharing this recipe.