Recipe by mollypaul
From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups celery, diced (stalks and leaves)
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook celery and onion in boiling water for ten minutes.
- In another pan, melt the butter; add flour and blend.
- When flour and butter are fully incorporated, add milk and cook, stirring constantly until thick.
- Add the cooked celery and onion with the cooking liquid to the white sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.