- 1⁄2 cup adzuki beans (small red beans)
- 3 cups sweet glutinous rice, well rinsed,soaked for 1/2 to 1 hour,drained (mochi gome **Regular rice isn't sticky enough**)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon black dry-roasted sesame seeds
- shiso or watercress, if desired (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans and water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 45 minutes to one hour or until beans are soft but not completely cooked.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Drain beans, reserving the liquid.
- Mix the beans, drained rice and water with 3 tablespoons of the bean's cooking liquid.
- Cook in rice steamer in the usual manner.
- Spread the cooked beans and rice into a decorative shallow dish or laquer tray.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, garnish and serve.
- If you don't have a rice cooker, you can cook this is a pot on the stove as you would regualr rice.
- Just use the proportion of water to rice given here, not the usual Western 2 parts water to one part rice.
- The rice has already been soaked, so it needs less water to cook.