Recipe by Sharon123
I haven't eaten ham in many years. I've been trying out seitan recipes and this looks so good. Here's what the blog says. "The texture is perfection. It's just the right amount of chewy without being tough. It's tender without being too soft and so moist. And most importantly it's bursting with ham-like flavor." From My Vegan Cookbook, and found on Pinterest. I haven't made this yet but looking forward to making it. Putting here for safekeeping.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons almond meal flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice (reserved from the 8 oz. can you use for the topping)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Smart Balance light butter spread
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Agave or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon course ground prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- paprika, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix the wet in a separate mixing bowl. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix together. Kneed with your hands for about a minute. Shape into a loaf and wrap in a cheese cloth and place in a steam bath. I use a large stock pot with a colander on top and then a lid. I put about 3 inches of water in the stock pot. Bring this to a boil and cut down to medium heat and steam for 45 minutes. Keep a check on the water to make sure it doesn't boil dry.
- While that's steaming mix up the topping by putting all of the ingredients in a food processor and process for a minute.
- After the seitan loaf has finished steaming, take off cheese cloth and let cool for about 10 minutes. Then slice into 1/4 inch slices and coat top and bottom with pineapple topping, place in a baking pan, sprinkle with paprika and broil for five minutes on each side.