Eat Your Vegetables!'s Note:
From the Veganomicon. Try using their Simple Seitan or Seitan Cutlets recipe for this. Serve with mashed potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb seitan
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 cup olive, pitted and cut in half
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Cut the seitan into long, thin pieces. Ideally the slices should be roughly 1/4" thick, 3" long and 2" wide.
- 3Coat the bottom of the skillet with oil and let it get hot. Dredge half the seitan slices in flour to coat. Add to the pan and cook until lightly browed, about two minutes. Proceed to coat the other slices and repeat. Place the cooked seitan slices on a tray or plate covered with aluminum foil, to keep warm. Do not rise out the skillet or turn the heat off, as you're going to make the sauce in it.
- 4Bring a pot of water to a boil for the green beans.
- 5If there is enough oil left in the seitan pan to saute the shallots and garlic, then do so; if not, add a little oil and saute them for about 5 min, stirring often.
- 6Add the white wine to the sauce and raise the heat to bring to a rolling boil. Add the vegetable broth, salt, black pepper, and thyme. Again, bring to a rolling boil and let the sauce reduce by half; this should take about 7-10 minute.
- 7Add the capers and olives to heat through, about 3 minute
- 8At this point, add the beans to the boiling water and let them cook for 2 min, then strain.
- 9Add the parsley and lemon to the sauce and turn off the heat.
- 10To serve: Make a pile of mashed potatoes. Place the seitan over the mashed potatoes and insert the green beans around the seitan, vertically. Use a ladle to douse everything in plenty of sauce.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seitan Piccata With Olives and Green Beans
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.9
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 680.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: