Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is rich and flavorful, yet blessedly easy to prepare, and my family (with our diverse tastes!) loves it. Serve over a bed of freshly cooked long-grain rice, brown or basmati, with a garden salad and viniagrette (or Everything Dressing :-)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 -4 cups mushrooms, sliced (use more if you leave out the seitan)
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 1 -2 cup seitan, cubed (wheat meat) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Soften onion, garlic and celery in a small amount of water, in a medium saucepan, till soft.
- Add mushrooms and cover pan. Let cook 5-10 minutes, till mushrooms are soft.
- Add all other ingredients, except lemon juice. Simmer gently while your rice cooks.A few minutes before serving, add lemon juice.
- Serve over rice with a nice green salad. Bon appetit!