Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is made with hard wheat flour. It might be easier for some to find. I hold no promises I have not made this yet. The broth is simply soy sauce. It is from Eden foods at http://www.edenfoods.com
- Note: Use organic hard red spring or winter flour for this recipe. Before you ask NO do NOT sub any other flour. This recipe is designed for this flour.
- Mix the flour and 1 3/4 cup water to form a firm dough. Knead for 3 to 5 minutes then cover with cold water and let sit 5 to 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough in the water gently until water is milky. Pour off. Cover with warm water. Knead until milky.
- Repeat draining and adding cold then warm until water is clear. You should have a spongy mass. This is your wheat gluten.
- Now you have to prepare it. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Place gluten in boing water and boil for 5 minutes. Do not cover. Reduce temp and add the soy sauce [or other broth ingredients].
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. It should be brown, soft, tender and salty with this broth. It is Seitan.
This was good. Carnivore husband also gave it a thumbs up! Now THAT'S saying something.....I found that 2 lbs of flour yielded very little "wheat meat" so I used 6 lbs. To the broth that it was cooked in I added (besides the soy sauce) 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. sage, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning and it was good.