Recipe by That is Dr House to you
This is made with hard wheat flour. It might be easier for some to find. I hold no promises I have not made this yet. The broth is simply soy sauce. It is from Eden foods at http://www.edenfoods.com
Top Review by Anglo Mama in Israel
This was good. Carnivore husband also gave it a thumbs up! Now THAT'S saying something.....I found that 2 lbs of flour yielded very little "wheat meat" so I used 6 lbs. To the broth that it was cooked in I added (besides the soy sauce) 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. sage, 1 tsp. poultry seasoning and it was good.
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: Use organic hard red spring or winter flour for this recipe. Before you ask NO do NOT sub any other flour. This recipe is designed for this flour.
- Mix the flour and 1 3/4 cup water to form a firm dough. Knead for 3 to 5 minutes then cover with cold water and let sit 5 to 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough in the water gently until water is milky. Pour off. Cover with warm water. Knead until milky.
- Repeat draining and adding cold then warm until water is clear. You should have a spongy mass. This is your wheat gluten.
- Now you have to prepare it. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Place gluten in boing water and boil for 5 minutes. Do not cover. Reduce temp and add the soy sauce [or other broth ingredients].
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. It should be brown, soft, tender and salty with this broth. It is Seitan.