Recipe by VegSocialWorker
A baked seitan recipe posted by Lachesis on the Post Punk Kitchen forum. It's easy to make and tasty. It's spicy and the log form makes for great slicing.
Top Review by veggie_mama
This is the THE BEST seitan log I have made to date. It was very moist and flavorful. I chose to omit the cinnamon, cumin and allspice. I added 1 teaspoon of onion powder instead. It was such a huge hit, we ate 2/3 of it for dinner tonight. Thanks for posting a fantastic recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two. it doesn't need long.
- Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes.
- When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate.
- Slice to use as desired.