Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The ingredient list is long, but the spices come together quickly. It probably seems like a lot of heat but after you mix it in the with other ingredients, it tones down a lot. You may even want to add more spice! Vital wheat gluten is the protein found in wheat. It is the base for seitan, and can be found at Whole Foods and other heath food stores. You can also order online through places like Bob’s Red Mill. I get it at Ingles and Walmart. When you wrap them to bake, be careful not to get them too tight. This seitan version of chorizo is just as good as the “real” thing. I actually prefer it because it isn’t so greasy. Not to mention the nutritionals are a million times better. From Sprint2thetable.
- 354.88 ml vital wheat gluten
- 59.14 ml chickpea flour
- 29.58 ml nutritional yeast
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml coriander
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml dried ancho chile powder (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1 dried red chili pepper (or 1 T red pepper flakes)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro, minced
- 29.58 ml apple cider vinegar
- 29.58 ml Braggs liquid aminos
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 1.23 ml liquid smoke
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 414.03 ml vegetable broth (I used low sodium)
- In medium bowl, stir together garlic, cilantro, and liquids.
- In a large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Add the wet to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Knead dough for 2-3 mins, then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350*F. Tear apart 4 squares of aluminum foil (approximately 8 inches long).
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and form logs on each of the foil pieces. Roll them long-ways, twisting the ends to firmly secure the logs. (Note: Do not to wrap too tight in case of an expansion/explosion.).
- Place the wraps on a baking sheet and cook for 60-75 minutes They will feel more firm when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for at least 40 mins, or overnight. (I recommend overnight – it firms up in the fridge and the flavors come together nicely.).
- Makes 4 sausages, or 8 servings.