1 hr 25 mins
The ingredient list is long, but the spices come together quickly. It probably seems like a lot of heat but after you mix it in the with other ingredients, it tones down a lot. You may even want to add more spice! Vital wheat gluten is the protein found in wheat. It is the base for seitan, and can be found at Whole Foods and other heath food stores. You can also order online through places like Bob’s Red Mill. I get it at Ingles and Walmart. When you wrap them to bake, be careful not to get them too tight. This seitan version of chorizo is just as good as the “real” thing. I actually prefer it because it isn’t so greasy. Not to mention the nutritionals are a million times better. From Sprint2thetable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dried red chili pepper (or 1 T red pepper flakes)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (I used low sodium)
- 1In medium bowl, stir together garlic, cilantro, and liquids.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. Add the wet to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- 3Knead dough for 2-3 mins, then let rest for 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350*F. Tear apart 4 squares of aluminum foil (approximately 8 inches long).
- 5Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and form logs on each of the foil pieces. Roll them long-ways, twisting the ends to firmly secure the logs. (Note: Do not to wrap too tight in case of an expansion/explosion.).
- 6Place the wraps on a baking sheet and cook for 60-75 minutes They will feel more firm when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for at least 40 mins, or overnight. (I recommend overnight – it firms up in the fridge and the flavors come together nicely.).
- 7Makes 4 sausages, or 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts for Seitan Chorizo
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 40.9
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 75.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten
Braggs liquid aminos