Recipe by Enjolinfam
This is the best vegetarian or vegan stroganoff I've tried yet. It came from Farm Sanctuary's Guide to Vegan Living and I've only slightly changed it. One way I improved it for our taste is by using Mckay's Chicken Seasoning broth instead of Vegetable Broth or water and adding 3 Tablespoons of Vegan Sour Cream. We will be making this often from now on. Hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by drbecca26
Really good and hearty veg food, this. The only thing I would do different would be to let the seitan soak in the gravy for a bit before cooking...just to impart a bit more flavor to it. It was still really fantastic, though!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegan chicken broth or 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup green onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms or 3 cups portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups seitan (strips thinly sliced)
- ground black pepper, to taste
- egg-free pasta (one normal sized package)
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Gravy: Stir cornstarch and soy sauce together in a 2-quart saucepan and make a thin, smooth, paste. Whisk in the broth or water and garlic granules. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and beat in the tahini and vegan sour cream. Cover the saucepan and set aside.
- Place oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high. When the oil is hot, sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the seitan strips and the reserved gravy into the onions and mushrooms. Reduce heat to low and stir often, about 5 to 10 minutes, until the seitan is heated through.
- Season the stroganoff with ground pepper. Serve at once over egg-free noodles.