Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This dessert is similar to rice pudding and comes from Africa.
Make and share this Seffa (Sweet Couscous With Almond Milk) recipe from Food.com.
- Combine the milk and almonds in a saucepan with a lid and bring to a boil over medium/high heat.
- Turn off the heat, cover and let sit while you proceed with the recipe.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan and turn heat to medium/low.
- When butter melts, add the couscous and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add 2 1/4 cups water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down very low.
- Cover and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 7-12 minutes.
- While the couscous is cooking, soak the raisins, apricots and dates in warm water.
- Pour the couscous into a large serving bowl and stir in the remaining butter along with the drained fruit.
- Fluff the couscous and break up any lumps.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and stir and taste to adjust seasonings if needed.
- Strain the almond milk and pour over the couscous and serve.
I made this for brekkie as a welcome change from oatmeal and I love sweet couscous as a day starter. The only alteration I made was to add the ground almonds into the toasting couscous and skipping the milk. I dislike milk on any hot cereal breakfast. Loved the dried fruit mixture but I need to say that the dates disintegrated with the cooking and stirring and infusing the whole with their sweetness. Made for ZWT-Team Witchin Kitchen
I loved having this for breakfast! Very filling and delicious! Made for ZWT7 for the Vivacious Violets.