Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is an adaptation of a recipe I made from Betty Crocker's Bread Machine Cookbook. Feel free to experiment with different seeds that meet your liking (example: dill, coriander, poppy, or fennel seeds). Intended for a 2 pound loaf (zmail me if you need the recipe for the 1.5 pound loaf - it is not a direct down conversion).
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other oil)
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 2 teaspoons quick active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients in bread machine pan in order, or to the recommendation of your bread machine manufacturer. Make sure you make a well for the yeast on top.
- Select the Basic/White cycle (I like this better than the Whole Wheat cycle). Select Medium or Light crust color, according to your preferences (I use Light).
- Once baked, carefully slide bread out of bread machine pan, making sure to remove the dough blade. Cool on a wire rack.
Lovely bread. I made the dough in the bread machine this morning and then shaped and baked it into burger sized sandwich buns. Everything went great and I have delicious buns that will enhance everything from burgers to egg salad. Marvelous recipe.
Awesome! Wonderful! Um, did I mention I liked this? Great bread, even better toasted for breakfast. I made this to go with U'nega'gei. I liked the bread a lot better! Made for ZWT4 Thank you, Maito!
ZWT4: Excellent! We used our 2 hr Insta-bread cycle and it turned out perfect! I made the bread using these exact measurements and ingredients for our 2lb bread loaf!!