Recipe by Bonnie G #2
Want to make Irish Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day but wanted to use up my Sourdough Starter, found this at King Aurthur Flour on line. It states: Soda bread is a staple around St. Patrick's Day, and this is a tried and true soda bread recipe, with a variation with a just a touch of background sourdough note. Have to admit while I posted as listed I changed it around so not truly an Irish bread but a great sandwich bread - changes; added 1 teaspoon of bread yeast, instead of 3 tablespoons of honey used half honey & half molasses, dumped all in ABM on dough cycle, then let rise for 2 hours prior to baking.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup seeds, and grains of your choice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter (fed or unfed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, Harvest Grains Blend, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl (or in a measuring cup), whisk together the starter, butter, honey, and milk. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. The dough will be stiff; if it's too crumbly to squeeze together, add another tablespoon or two of milk.
- Knead the dough a couple of times to make sure it's holding together, divide it in half, and shape each half into a ball. Flatten the balls slightly, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut a ½"-deep cross, extending all the way to the edges, atop each loaf.
- Bake the loaves for 30 to 40 minutes, until they're golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the loaves from the oven, and brush their tops with melted butter, if desired.
- NOTE: you may freeze some of the dough for later. Shape and allow to freeze to the point where you are able to wrap or place into a freezer zip lock bag. Using a second bag would be even better. Allow to defrost in the frig overnight before baking. If you would like to freeze after baking, allow to defrost at room temperature and warm in a preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes to freshen up the crust and interior.