Recipe by Annacia
This savory blend of anise, fennel, caraway, and celery seeds creates a crustlike coating for this tender pork roast. The cooking liquid contains apple juice, which lends a pleasant, subtle sweetness.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds, crushed
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice or 2⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Brush soy sauce over meat.
- On a large piece of foil combine anise seeds, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, and celery seeds.
- Roll roast in seeds to coat evenly.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the apple juice and the broth around meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid.
- Slice meat and transfer to a serving platter.
- Cover meat to keep warm.
- FOR GRAVY:.
- Strain cooking liquid and skim off fat. Transfer cooking liquid to a small saucepan. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup apple juice and the cornstarch, stir into liquid in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Serve gravy over meat.