Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted in preparation for Easter feast!! Cooking Light/March 2008
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup stone ground whole grain cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- cooking spray
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly spoon flours and cornmeal into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Cut in utter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk; stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough to a 3/4 inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter .
- Place 12 biscuits on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Brush tops of biscuits with egg white.
- Combine seeds in a small bowl, sprinkle evenly over biscuits (saving enough for second batch of biscuits.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until biscuits are golden; place on a wire rack.
- Repeat with remaining 12 biscuits.