Originally from "300 Best Canadian Bread Machine Recipes", I changed this recipe to suit our love of seeds and a recent interest in spelt. I also wanted to increase the whole grains and reduce or eliminate the white flour. What I ended up with was a delicious, hearty bread, that while dense, still doubled in volume. Feel free to change the non-spelt flour to whatever you'd like, for a total of 1 1/2 cups; there's no need for the gluten if using white bread flour for the entire amount. For the seeds, use any combination you like, for a total of 3/4 cup.
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gluten
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup oat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- Measure all ingredients into the baking pan of your ABM, in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set it for Basic Cycle, or for Basic Dough, and when the dough completes, shape, and place in a loaf pan. Set in a warm place, and allow to rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume. Set oven for 350, and bake for 35 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when you knock on the bottom.