Recipe by Galley Wench
This is classic French Onion soup with a twist. The recipe comes from the Orchard's restaurant in Sedona, Arizona. It's a big recipe but obviously can be cut down.
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
I chose to make this dish for moan & groan over the best comfort food ! This is a twist from what I am use to having. Step 2 is what realy makes this soup different and good. I look forward to making this again. Excellant.
- 1360.77 g onions, julienne cut (about 9 large)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml white wine
- 1892.72 ml beef consomme
- 3.69 ml salt
- 3.69 ml pepper
- 8 slice sourdough bread
- 8 slice swiss cheese
- 0.25 ml Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until brown.
- Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and white wine. Stir constantly until mixture is reduced by about 80 percent. Watch carefully that it doesn't turn to caramel!
- Add reduction to large pan with beef consomme.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the sauted onions, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- For maximum flavor, this soup is better if you immediately cool and then reheat just before serving.
- To serve, spoon 6 to 8 ounes of soup in an ovenproof bowl, place a slice of sourdough bread over the soup and sliced swiss cheese over the bread.
- Place under broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.