Recipe by Rose's Granddaughter
The tortilla adds a delicious crunchy shell and it smells so good while it is cooking. I actually made up this recipe from items in my kitchen and couldn't believe how wonderful it tasted! It is now a hit in my family and so EASY to make. Please rate and give feedback. Update: Since I first made this five years ago, we still enjoy this at least once a month. I have found that I can alternate the ingredients to use up items I have in the fridge. I have used mushrooms, sauteed onions, cherry tomatoes and even feta cheese instead of cheddar cheese. And it always comes out fantastic. I have also found that there are times I need to use more or less eggs depending on the ingredients. Also, a glass pie pan is so much better than a metal as it toasts the tortilla just right. Such an easy recipe with gourmet taste!
Top Review by Colleen M.
This was fantastic!!! Even my son, the world pickiest eater, ate his whole piece. I used a whole wheat tortilla for the base. I used another reviewers suggestion and sauteed the onion and 3 cloves of garlic, then added the fresh spinach to the pan till it got wilty. I spread that on top of the cheese. I didn't have lemon pepper, so I just added pepper and a tbsp of lemon juice to the mixture. I also added a bit of Herbamare seasoning and a pinch of cayenne. Served it with salsa. Sooooo delicious!!!
- 5 jumbo eggs (or 7 large eggs)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 roasted garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 3 slices cooked bacon, chopped (optional)
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups any blend shredded cheese
- 3 cups fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the first six ingredients (eggs, bacon, milk, garlic, lemon pepper and salt) in a bowl. Set aside.
- Lay the flour tortilla in a glass pie dish, press gently - does not need to lay perfectly flat against dish. I don't spray it prior and have never had any issues with it sticking. Especially when made using a glass pie pan.
- Sprinkle only 1/2 cup cheese on tortilla.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and the spinach onto tortilla in layers, and press gently. I don't chop or tear the spinach but you might opt to do this.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over spinach, be careful not to pour any outside of tortilla as this causes it to stick to pan.
- Bake in oven at 365 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes. Insert fork in center and it should come out clean.
- Use sharp knife to cut into pie slices and serve hot.
- Other options: Instead of garlic, you can use 1/4 cup onions. For added flavor, serve with homemade salsa.