Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I delicious rhubarb pie, with a littel surprise--a wonderful almond flavor
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 6 ounces cans almond filling
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb, fresh or frozen (partially thawed)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 slightly beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Line a 9 in pie plate with 1/2 of pastry.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, cornstarch, almond filling, lemon juice,nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir in rhubarb and strawberries.
- Transfer mixture to pastry lined pie plate.
- Trim pastry to edge of pie plate.
- Dot filling with margarine or butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry to a 12 inch circle.
- Cut slits in it, and place on filling and seal.
- Crimp edge.
- To prevent over-browning, wrap edge of pie with strips of foil.
- Place pie plate on baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 25 minutes for fresh fruit and 50 minutes for frozen fruit.
- Remove foil.
- Bake 35-30 minutes more until to is golden.
- During the last 10 minutes of baking, brush the top with egg white and sprinkle with almonds.
- Cook on wire rack.