Recipe by Ali Young
A low fat and well balanced meal with full flavor. Lovely, fragrant, chicken cutlets smothered in an out-of-this-world veggie, red sauce over linguine.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- salt and pepper
- dry linguine
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Chicken Cutlets - Defrost and rinse the chicken. Wrap the chicken in plastic wrap and pound it until it is uniformly thin - about 1.5 centimeters. Then take your cleaned sage leaves and place them on the chicken. Stack the chicken so that the sage is touching both sides. Re-wrap the chicken and set aside.
- Prepare the Veggies for the Sauce - Dice the onions and peppers and put them into a saute pan with about 1/2 of the olive oil (approx 6 tbs). Heat them, stirring occasionally, over a medium low heat until the onions are translucent and the peppers begin to get soft.
- Boil the Water for the Linguine - Fill your pasta pot with water, generously salt the water and turn on the heat!
- Press the Garlic Clove - Into the Veggies which should now be soft and very slightly browning. Add the remaining oil in with the veggies which are now well sauted in your saute pan.
- Cook the Chicken - Move all of the veggies to the sides of the saute pan, making room for the cutlets. Remove the cutlets from the plastic and place them into the hot oil with the sage side down. You don't want the veggies to brown a lot so move them around and even pile them on top of the chicken so they don't over cook. Increase the heat under the pan to Medium High. When the chicken is almost cooked all the way through, flip it over to finish it on the other side. Don't over cook! When the chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken and the sage from the pan and set aside. Remove most of the sage from the chicken.
- Add Can of Crushed Tomatoes to Veggies- Reduce the heat under the Saute Pan to medium low again because the oil should be really hot now. Stir the crushed tomatoes around with the oil and the veggies. Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and a dash of the vanilla extract. Stir and then cover.
- Cook Pasta - Add your linguine to your boiling water. It should cook for about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Attend to the Red Sauce - while the pasta is cooking, check the sauce to make sure it is bubbling and to stir it often. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the Chicken to the sauce for the last two minutes to heat it up. The chicken should just lay on top.
- Plate the pasta. Smother it with the red sauce and place the sage chicken on top.
- ENJOY! All of the seasonings and the oil content can be adjusted.