Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are a different twist on holiday sweet potatoes.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes (4 or 5 large)
- 12 ounces frozen pineapple-orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 400.
- Set the sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake until very tender, 50-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool. (Note: the potatoes can be baked up to 24 hrs in advance and refrigerated until ready to use).
- Peel the potatoes, then mash them well in a bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a 2-qt casserole dish with a lid.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees. Heat the potatoes until steaming, 30-40 minutes. Serve hot.
Very tasty: enjoyed this (scaled back for two) with TheGrumpyChef's Recipe #347218. I never use juice concentrates so - influenced also by Nasseh's review - I made this with orange juice, and I added thyme but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Made for PRMR.
I enjoyed this dish but I thought the pineapple flavor was a little strange with the sweet potato. If I make again I will only use orange juice. I did add 1 tsp of cinnamon & some raisins to the sweet potatoes before cooking. Made for Please Review My Recipe
Not a bad dish, everybody enjoyed it, except we thought the orange flavor was too overpowering. Other than that the other ingredients complimented this dish. Made for Zaar Tag.