1/8 Photos of Secret Ingredient Low Fat Potato Salad!
French Tart's Note:
I am ALWAYS asked what is in this family favourite Potato Salad - it's a very common but secret ingredient which just makes it so tasty! I am about to tell the secret now....it's liquid Maggi Seasoning! I also like to add diced cornichons, small dill pickles or gherkins as we call them in England, and diced ham as well! This recipe is also low-fat making it a guilt free accompaniment for all your Barbeques & Family gatherings! I have added some optional additions at the end - which makes it a very adaptable potato salad recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs peeled potatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 -3 tablespoons low-fat creme fraiche
- 4 ounces finely diced cornichons
- 4 ounces finely diced ham
- 6 finely chopped spring onions, Scallions
- 1 -2 tablespoon liquid maggi seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced (optional)
- 4 ounces crisply fried cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- 1 red onion, peeled & finely diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1Peel the potatoes if needed & cut into 1" dice. Boil until just tender - not TOO soft! Drain the potatoes in a colander and set on one side too cool.
- 2Meanwhile, mix together the low fat mayonnaise, low fat creme fraiche OR low fat sour cream & Maggi seasoning. Add the black pepper to taste.
- 3Add the mayonnaise mixture to the potatoes and mix well but try not to break the potatoes up. Add the cornichons, ham & spring onions to the potato salad - mix through gently.
- 4Taste and add more Maggi seasoning or black pepper if required.
- 5Put into an attractive bowl and sprinkle more spring onions on as a garnish or parsley. I also like to sprinkle on smoked paprika as a garnish topping too.
- 7Instead of the ham, use crisply fried bacon. Great with egg - egg & bacon potato salad! Instead of the spring onions, use diced red onions.
- 8I have also added diced left over chicken & chopped apple to this mixture.
- 9I have given the option of using more or less mayonnaise mixture for personal taste; some people like it very creamy & others like it not so creamy!
- 10Maggi seasoning is quite salty, so use 1 tablespoon to start with, adding more if needed - teaspoon by teaspoon!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Secret Ingredient Low Fat Potato Salad!
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.8
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 790.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat creme fraiche